“Do Dogs Communicate with People?”
That’s the title of an article I came across last week as I was putting on my thinking cap for this month’s blog. My first thought was, “Duh, of course!” But then, as I got reading, I realized that maybe it’s PEOPLE that don’t understand US!
You know I love to research stuff on my Mom’s laptop… The studies I read came up with findings like
- 19 common “skills” that dogs use to communicate
- Dogs produced significantly more facial expressions when the human was oriented towards them, than when the human had her back turned to the dog.
- …sometimes the dogs were found to try different signals if their first go at telling their owner what they wanted wasn’t successful
- Dogs have been cohabiting with Humans for 30,000 years, half of that as “domesticated” partners
Really! Do our furry friend Humans not realize we’re talking to them?
Let’s have a discussion this month. We would like everyone – dogs, cats and people – to write your story.
I spoke to one of the researchers in the article at U. of Portsmouth. She didn’t believe me that she was “talking” to a dog. Shheesh! Or maybe she didn’t believe I would call her in the UK. Anyway, she wanted us to make sure we do this right.
So – here are the rules of the game – we need to hear from you about:
- Gestures, facial expressions and vocalizations by you Furry Friends need to be “referential”. That’s the scientific term for – you need to have a special action, woof or meow that gets the attention of your Human so that they know what you are asking for
- Those actions, woofs or meows must be something you use consistently to communicate with your Humans
- What kind of facial expressions do you use when you’re listening to your Human?
- Which kind of Human do you communicate best with, women or men?
Easy, right!?! See the Comments below from me and my friends that I’ve polled this week. Then, let us know here or on Facebook the things that you and your Humans talk about. Stuff like: How do you ask for a scratch, for food & water, to go out and to play? What else do you and your Human talk about?
Please help us by playing along! Thanks – We’ll let you know how it comes out next month.
With a Woof, Woof and a Meowww,
Buddy, Taylor & Mango
PS: Hmmm, I wonder if I should have applied for grant funding for this research?
And, HAPPY 4th of JULY!
We appreciate our military for keeping the vision by our Founding Fathers of Independence safe and thriving!
Lots of Newsy News in our monthly newsletter – does your Human want to receive specials and notices by Email? Sign up below.
Our promise to you: we never sell or give away your contact info. Your privacy is important to us! You can expect to receive a news blast about once a month, that’s all.